The best plan is to prevent customer and public relation challenges by doing a great job and communicating effectively. Communication Rescue is about turning an unhappy customer into a happy customer…and keeping a bad situation from getting worse. A bad situation can turn into a legal issue. Let your team know how and when they need to contact you so that you can get the appropriate help.
Customize, Practice and Role Play each tip.
Remember…stuff happens. Relax and trust that if you are motivated by what is in the best interests of your customers, you will be operating from a solid position.
Handle the emergency.
- Call 911 if anyone is hurt or in danger. Safety first! Engage your company safety and emergency procedures.
- Demonstrate your true concern for the situation.
- Announce you need a little time to gather information (if need be) and get help.
- Need back up from your supervisor or the owner? Get him or her on the phone.
- Gather and review all pertinent information.
Address the Customer’s Concerns
- Help the customer.
- State company policies and values.
- Own up to any wrong-doings.
- Describe how the company is going to solve the problem.
- Give a resolution/completion date if not immediate or long term.
- Handle the problem to the customer’s satisfaction…and go the extra mile.
- Report back to the press, or any other third parties that you have resolved the situation.
- Write down how the Communication Rescue was handled for future reference.
- Conduct a debrief session with appropriate team members.
- Create policies and procedures if need be.
- Teach all team members the new policies and procedures.
- Follow up with customer to make sure they are happy.
- Get a Testimonial.